The Burgenland coat-of-arms consists of a golden escutcheon containing a red eagle rampant bearing a golden coronet. It is red-tongued and has its wings spread. The eagle is perched on a black rock. In the upper corners of the escutcheon the eagle's wings are surmounted by two black, wide-tipped crosses. The eagle's chest is covered by a smaller, gold-framed escutcheon (inescutcheon) bearing three bars in red and fur.
Origins of the coat-of-arms: It derives from the coats-of-arms of the two most powerful Burgenland dynasties, the Counts of Mattersdorf-Forchtenstein (black eagle on a red rock) and the Counts of Güssing-Bernstein (three bars of red and fur). Redesigned in 1922.
Area: 3,965 square kilometres (1,530 square miles).
Climate information is here
Patron Saint: Saint Martin (Bishop of Tours, born 316 or 317 AD in Sabaria / Szombathely, died 397 AD near Tours).
Saint's Day: November 11
Anthem: The words of the anthem "Mein Heimatvolk, mein Heimatland, mit Österreich verbunden" are by Ernst Görlich, the music by Peter Zauner.
History: Until the end of the First World War Burgenland belonged to Hungary. The treaty of Trianon (1919) assigned the German-speaking areas of western Hungary to Austria. But when an Austrian police force entered the territory, they met with resistance from Hungarian guerrillas. Under Italian mediation a referendum was held on the future the town of Sopron and its environs in December 1921, and this ended with a majority in favour of belonging to Austria. The former Hungarian administrative districts passed to Austrian administration at the beginning of 1922.
The server of the Federal Province of Burgenland is here .