Carinthia employs the historic coat-of-arms. The escutcheon is divided vertically into gold and red. The left segment contains three black red-tongued lions rampant one above the other. The right segment is crossed by a silver bar.
Origins of the coat-of-arms: The Dukes of Carinthia, descended from the Sponheim dynasty, originally had a black panther as a heraldic device. Ulrich III introduced the present-day Carinthian coat-of-arms in 1237. After the House of Sponheim became extinct it was adopted by Ottokar II Premysl and subsequently by the Habsburgs.
Area: 9,533 square kilometres (3,680 square miles)
Climate information is here
Patron Saint: Saint Joseph
Saint's Day: March 19
Anthem: The words of the Carinthian anthem "Dort wo Tirol an Salzburg grenzt" are by Johann Thaurer von Gallenstein (1822), the fourth verse by Agnes Millonig (1930); the melody is by Josef Rainer von Harbach (1835). It was adopted as the official Carinthian anthem in 1966.
History: Heinrich IV, Duke of Carinthia and Count of Tyrol from the House of Görz-Tyrol died on April 2, 1335, leaving no heir. By the terms of a secret treaty concluded by Emperor Ludwig IV and the Habsburgs in Augsburg in 1330, the Emperor enfeoffed the Habsburgs with the Duchy of Carinthia. With the exception of a brief period in which Villach and environs were incorporated in the Napoleonic Illyria (1809-1813), Carinthia remained intact and under Habsburg rule throughout its history. The SHS state of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, founded in 1918, laid claim to parts of southern Carinthia, but a referendum held on October 10, 1920 confirmed the assignation of these areas to Austria. Only the Miess Valley was forfeited, while the Val Canale passed to Italy.
The server of the Federal Province of Carinthia is here.