Salzburg Province uses the historic coat-of-arms. It consists of a crowned escutcheon divided vertically. The left segment contains a black lion rampant on a golden field, the right segment is red with a silver bar.
Origins of the coat-of-arms: The Salzburg coat-of-arms is probably derived from the personal seal of Duke Philipp of Carinthia, who was the elected Archbishop of Salzburg in the years 1246 to 1256. It is likely that the device of the black lion on a golden field was borrowed from the Hohenstaufen coat-of-arms. The princely coronet was added to the coat-of-arms when Salzburg became an autonomous Crown Land of the Austrian Empire in 1805 and 1850.
Area: 7,154 square kilometres (2,761 square miles).
Climate information is here.
Patron Saint: Saint Rupert (Bishop of Salzburg, died around 718).
Saint's Day: September 24
Anthem: The words of the anthem "Land uns'rer Väter, lass jubelnd dich grüssen" are by Anton Pichler, the melody is by Ernst Sompek. It was unanimously adopted by the Salzburg Diet as the official Salzburg anthem on May 24, 1928.
History: Saint Rupert established the abbey of St. Peter and the convent on the Nonnberg around the year 690 AD. In 798 Salzburg became an archbishopric. In the course of the Middle Ages Salzburg extended into the southern Alps. Salzburg remained an ecclesiastical Princedom until 1803, when it was secularised. It passed to Ferdinand IV of Tuscany as an Electorate. After a brief period of Bavarian hegemony from 1806 to 1815, the Congress of Vienna assigned it to Austria.
The server of the Federal Province of Salzburg is here